Marine Law requires that a boat must carry equipment required for boating safety along with the Pleasure Craft Operator Card. The following requirements are also to be included at a bare minimum.
- Life jacket or flotation device taken according to the size of the passengers in the boat
- A 15 meter length buoyant heaving line
- Flashlight that is waterproof along with Government approved flares
- Devices used to send out sound signals
- Paddles and an anchor attached with a 15 meter chain, cable or rope
- Fire extinguisher
- Water pump which works manually
Apart from the above list of items, additional set of things are recommended to be carried for everyone on board.
- Sunscreen lotion
- Dry clothes
- First-aid kit
- Water to drink
- Waterproof matches
Awareness of Drug and Alcohol Usage During Boating
Year after year the world witnesses many deaths due to activities conducted during boating activities. And it is calculated that 65% deaths are due to consumption of alcohol and drugs. Many boaters do not hesitate to commit consuming alcohol for each boat ride where 66% drink while boating. 40% of accidental deaths faced by boaters are due to alcohol and drugs.
It is always important to wait till one gets off the boat before consuming alcohol. It is best advised not to drive the boat when alcohol or drugs has been consumed. Non-alcoholic beverages are allowed during the boat ride for both passengers and the operator of the boat. It is always good to carry life jackets and Personal Flotation Devices (PFD), each size fitting every passenger on board.
Effects of Alcohol on Boaters
- The capability to act on any kind of information and make a clear judgement is lost.
- Motor skills, general body balance and peripheral vision diminishes
- Reaction capacity and response time take during a reflex action is reduced.
- Perspective of focus and depth lowers.
- It causes disturbance to the inner ear increasing the chances of hypothermia when accidentally falling into the water.